Bring Their Murderers to Justice
While the people all over the Arab world are rising up against their U.S.-Israeli puppet regimes, the current Fateh leadership represented by the so-called Palestinian Authority (PA) is sending messages of support to these dictatorial regimes. The PA is also trying to prevent and suppress the Palestinian popular expression with the Tunisian and Egyptian uprising against these brutal dictatorships.
It is clear that this Palestinian leadership is serving US and Israeli interests and working against not only the Egyptian and Arab peoples’ aspirations but also against the liberation of the Palestinian people. Even the former Israeli Knesset member, Uri Avnery, figured it out when he stated: “The turmoil in Egypt was caused by economic factors: the rising cost of living, the poverty, the unemployment, the hopelessness of the educated young. But let there be no mistake: the underlying causes are far more profound. They can be summed up in one word: Palestine.”
Nonetheless, as recently exposed by the Palestine Papers(1), the present Fateh leadership is choosing to be on the side of the U.S. Empire and its allies, especially Israel, who are directly responsible for the war crimes against the Palestinian people. The PA is using the Egyptian regime’s tactics to suppress free speech; they are using “Dayton’s babies” (an elite PA security unit), that are financed by the U.S. and Canadian governments and trained by their intelligence services, in a desperate attempt to keep the Palestinian people chained.
This leadership is also betraying all the Palestinian martyrs especially Yasser Arafat (Abu Ammar) and Khalil Al-Wazir (Abu Jihad).
- Yasser Arafat: Over six years have passed since Arafat’s death, and the Fateh leadership has not pursued any serious attempt to expose the murder of Arafat. It has not asked the UN to investigate and expose his murderers, even though there have been signs from the beginning as to possible U.S.-Israeli complicity in his murder (see the article in COUNTERPUNCH “ The Revelations of Uri Dan”(2) “Dan claimed Sharon got approval from George Bush by phone early in 2004 to proceed with his plan after he told the US president he was no longer committed to “not” liquidating the Palestinian leader”.) There is a lot of evidence to support this view, including statements from his personal physician Ashraf al-Kurdi, Arafat’s former Cabinet secretary, Ahmad Abdel-Rahman, the former Fateh chairperson Farouq Qaddoumi (Abu Lutoff) and Bassam Abu Sharif, former senior advisor to Yasser Arafat. We tell Mahmoud Abbas and his Fateh leadership that silence on Arafat’s murder is complicity.
- Khalil Al-Wazir: Here is a chance for the Fateh leadership to demand justice for Abu Jihad and bring the former president of Tunisia, Zine El Abidin Ben Ali, one of the conspirators in his murder, to justice. But what does Mr. Abbas and his puppet regime do? He phones both Ben Ali and Mubarak to show solidarity with them. (For details of Ben Ali and his regime’s involvement in the murder of Abu Jihad, please see our letter(3) sent to the Tunisian Ambassador in Ottawa, or David Yallop’s book “To the Ends of the Earth” pages 224-226.)
On June 30, 2007 in our statement “What is Next for the Palestinian Secular Movement?(4)”, we warned of the dangers of the Abbas leadership regarding the Palestinian struggle and we called for his resignation.
We now call on:
- All the Palestinian people, and particularly Fateh members, cadres and leaders, to disassociate themselves from Abbas’ practices and policies and to topple him, and to declare loud and clear that Abbas does NOT represent the Palestinian people nor their cause.
- The UN to immediately appoint an objective tribunal to investigate the murder of Yasser Arafat headed by Richard Falk, U.N. Special Rapporteur on Palestinian Human Rights.
- The new Tunisian government to investigate the complicity of Ben Ali and his police and intelligence forces in the crime of murdering Abu Jihad, in addition to the many crimes they committed against the Tunisian people.
- All progressive forces to support the Tunisian, Egyptian, Palestinian, Yemeni and all other Arab peoples in their struggles for freedom, democracy and independence.
We demand justice for Abu Ammar and Abu Jihad and all the Palestinian and Arab Martyrs.